Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where the rubber meets the road...


This is where the rubber meets the road & I get to spin. Sunday week both band & choir have performances. We can only make one of them so it will have to be choir, which is all the way in town. The chief examiner from the UK is confering the award this choir won at the Trinity College Guildhall competition last year (before we were involved so I feel like a fraud!) I hate going into Brisbane. I hate Brisbane . In the 20 years I've lived in this part of Queensland I've been into Brisbane exactly twice. It is just an incredibly boring place to be; not a cosmoploitian city, not particularly beautiful & the pollution levels are something else. Brisbanites would disagree with me & I admit it's improved enormously but basically it is still an overgrown country town. So I don't know where anything is & can't find my way round. I won't drive in; my driving is shonky at the best of times & downright scary when I don't know where I am or how to get anywhere. If it wasn't for the time constraints I'd have a go but suspect we are safer busing or training in. I have far less chance of getting us completely lost. I tentatively asked Liddy to navigate but she has her first game of the season that day sooooo....
While I am still in meltdown we get the date for TTT ~ May 16th, which is Mother's Day; concert also right in town. OK, so that one's no surprise & I can see I'm going to get to know Brisbane much, much better! It is times like this I start envying the Catholics. I could do with a St Jude's help about now (patron saint of lost causes! lol!) Instead I have this mad rush of adrenaline & a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that looks like taking up permanent residence for the duration of this year.
Meanwhile the island car died last night just before we left for band. At least it died at home. The battery's as dead as a dodo but we suspect the alternator has gone & we are stony broke just at present. Just as well Ditz & I don't really mind walking though everything takes so much more time when we have to walk. And in the midst of this both boys arrived having missed their plane to W.A. for a wedding. I'm not game to ask how that happened but knowing Theo's dyslexia suspect he is responsible. No refunds either. Inanimate objects are not suspossed to break down. :) Life at our place is so much fun.

1 comment:

MamaOlive said...

Sorry I have no wisdom to offer you, just that "I know what you mean."

Life sure keeps on coming, doesn't it?