Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Catch up.

You can complain because roses have thorns, or you can rejoice because thorns have roses. Ziggy

I have roses...in abundance. They are doing particularly well this year; despite the drought, despite the water restrictions, despite neglect & failure to fertilize, they are doing well, which is astonishing because I'm not overly fond of roses. For scent I prefer Gardenias, or Mock Orange, Yesterday Today Tomorrow, or Lilac & I have them all [except Lilac which won't grow up here] scattered throughout the garden. The Moria [probably misspelled] out the front blooms throughout the year & its heady perfume pervades the whole garden & a good deal of the house. Liddy is very fond of it.


Our weather has turned inclement on us. It isn't exactly raining but then its not exactly not raining either. The result is just miserable & has halted work on the deck. I have been having big fires in the fire pit. It is cold enough I am grateful for the warmth outside & it is necessary to clean up the yard. Having so many big gum trees round means not only loads of leaf litter, which I can toss on the garden as mulch, but hordes of sticks & twigs & fallen branches, all of which can be tossed on the fire. Pity we didn't have marshmallows last night. By the time I was done we had perfect coals for marshmallows.

Ditz & I are struggling to get school back on course this week. We are both overly tired & when the weather is good the temptation is to be outside doing things. All too soon it is going to be far too hot to do much of anything.

I am starting to pull the last of our winter crop now. Dino's cabbages are ready & are very nice indeed. The silverbeet keeps steadily producing new leaves, there are beans almost ready & I haven't lost anything of what we planted last week which bodes well for the future. Every few days I tip the pumpkin to discourage leaf growth & bring on the flower. Besides I don't want it running everywhere. I have rockmelons & watermelons for that ~ if I can keep them through the heat.

It is NaNo time this month too ~ not that I'm terribly motivated. I am too busy to give it the attention it needs & we have had several upsets. I can not focus if my life is in a wrangle. It is energy sapping & a waste of time & effort. I don't like conflict, hate confrontation & generally head for the nearest sand dune so I can bury my head & wait for the storm to pass by. As it seems to be spiritual in nature we have upped the anti on prayer protection & having cautiously removed my head from the sand think it is now safe to go about my normal business. I was not made to stand in the breaches & wield a broadsword. Not from a lack of courage but from pure selfishness. I just want to go peacefully about my business & if the rest of the world goes to hell while I'm about it, well, that's just too bad. Yes, I know. Terrible sentiments but I have enough trouble dealing with my own life to get overly het about anyone else's. Talking of which, I have a fire going that I need to check on. Ooops.

3 comments:

The HoJo's said...

I would rather like to bury my head at the mo, but this too shall pass, allegedly. What is it with the weather, we have storms again. Our grass (well weeds really) needs mowing but someone keeps parking half on the grass half on the road so we can't get to it, I thought we weren't allowed to park on the roads here in the burbs

xc

MamaOlive said...

Good to hear from you. Sorry, nothing clever to say, but I'm here. :-)

molytail said...

You like lilac? We get tonnes of that around here in the summer - I can practically smell it just thinking about it...

I was not made to stand in the breaches & wield a broadsword.

If everyone is out fighting, the home is undefended. Y'know what I mean? <3

ps: I tagged you for an award on my blog, yes yes I did. *grin*